Friday, August 24, 2012

Wondering


When we were very young kids, we wondered about almost everything. We wondered about shadows, ants, reptiles, dirt, everything!  But now, we take things for granted.  We have found out what it all means and it doesn’t interest us anymore.  Some may still be thinking about all this stuff, but it stops interesting most people after they grow up.  Example:
“Daddy?  What makes the lake blue?”
“The water has a skin.  Light comes in waves and they’re all different.  Red is the longest wavelength and Violet is the shortest.  The skin on the water lets out all of the wavelengths but blue.  That’s the one that you can see.”
“Daddy? Why does the computer screen glow?”
Sigh… “Look it up!”
“Daddy, Daddy!  Why do we experience pain?”
“To make small children ask questions.”
“Daddy?  Why does Mommy color her hair?”
“…”
You get the idea.  And after a looooooong time of waiting… we finally find (most of) our questions answered!  Why do we stop wondering?  Perhaps we think that after that, we know it all.  Or, perhaps we don’t quite stop wondering!
I like water.  I want to know everything about it.  I want to know why it refreshes us.  I want to know why some animals can only live in salt water.  I want to know why I keep wondering about water.  But that’s the only thing that I wonder about right now.
I used to wonder why sunshine was bright.  I wanted to know about shadows.  I wanted to know about hair color.  I wanted to know about mirrors. (I still haven’t found out everything about mirrors yet.)  I wanted to know about everything that I could see.
My older brothers were always patting me on the head (still do now) and telling me things that I didn’t know that they made up and were about 99.9 percent wrong.  Anyway!  Got off-subject there.
Wondering is a beautiful thing.  It’s a big… thing that is living inside of all young children.  It sends their brain going and their mouth asking, and asking, and asking…  But it’s a thing that makes children learn.  It’s a thing that makes them grow and mature.  I remember that I would always think about stuff and wonder but hardly ever question it out loud.  I don’t remember why though.
Well, that’s all!  I’m off to eat myself a breakfast! J

6 comments:

  1. That was profound and very funny. You gotta wonder about those brothers of yours. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! Thanks! I do wonder about them. They're so annoying!

      Delete
  2. keep wondering and asking, asking, asking! And I have two older brothers who did the same to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! Will big brothers ever leave us alone? I still gotta live with mine. Nice but annoying! :D

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post! I think I liked it better when I wondered all the time :)

    ReplyDelete